An elderly woman in Henan Province climbed out of her kitchen window and threatened to jump after having an argument with her husband over whether to have rice or noodles for dinner.
The husband sided with rice and the wife demanded noodles. According to witnesses, the couple’s argument escalated to a fight before the woman decided to climb out of the window.
Firefighters were called to the scene, but the standoff lasted for about an hour before she was persuaded to step back inside the apartment.
The event is not uncommon, however. Earlier this year, a woman threatened to jump 19 stories from her Guangdong province apartment after no one would celebrate her 20th birthday with her.
What to do if someone you know exhibits warning signs of suicide:
- Do not leave person alone
- Remove any sharp objects, alcohol, drugs or firearms that could be used in a suicide attempt
- Take the person to an emergency room or seek help from a medical or mental health professional
You can also call the following hot lines for assistance
- Lifeline Shanghai: 021-6279-8990 (English Speakers; 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. daily)
- HopeLine: 4001619995(Chinese Speakers; 24/7 toll-free access)